Sunday, December 31, 2006

Home Sweet Home

Well Dad and Andrew are back home. Cell phones and whatnot. Sorry about the delay.

The last few days in Colombia were a bunch o fun, until we had to leave. Dad and I had to race all around the airport for a couple hours while the Columbian DAS office pretended our situation (no entry stamps) something new that never happens. The funny thing is you know you will catch your plane, no matter how much the officials make you feel like you won't. How so many people can be involved in a weird little scam is beyond me. But it is all part of the fun.



All of us went to this little geothermal hotspot where they have a hot mud volcano hill thing where you can defy the effects of gravity. Really weird experience. Great photos to arrive sometime. I think this hill is just years and years of mud bubbling out on to the surface where some ingenious people in the woods created a staircase and a little holding cell for people to lay in and have a mud bath.


Brian has learned the game of hearts the last few evenings in Cartagena, which is a great city. The fortress and old city are just awesome. I know we said that before but it felt like an Old World kinda city.

Dad and I got a dose of Bogota for a day. Found a really great vegetarian restaurant and wandered around the city all day. Its pretty cold there too compared with that Carribean coast. It took awhile to wade through the junk shops to find a place selling some quality crafts but we finally did. Big travel day later and we are back in the real world.



Overall I believe we all had a great trip abroad as always. Need to experience some third world action every now and again for a dose of culture shock upon return. Brian and Katie are climbing some mountains, Chimborazo and a few others. I am sure their border experience was a whole bunch of fun!!! Well I am not sure what everyone is up too, but here's hoping everyone has a wonderful new year in 2007. Hugs all around from the Oestrikes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Oestrikes,
Happy New Year whenever and whomever gets to read these things! Christian's mom is from Ecador and is there for two more days in case you need anything..his extended family is there also. I am sending lots of love and may your days be filled with "butterflies and rainbows" that one is for you Andy! love, HB

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! Saw Hank in Michigan this morning; day after Kristin's wedding. (It was a very beautiful and touching ceremony followed by a fabulous reception!) It was great to see him again! I can't believe the entry stamp situation - sounds a little like a scam to me! We are glad to hear everyone is doing great and love the pictures! Back in Florida tonight to celebrate the New Year. Best Wishes to All, Greg, Kristen & Elle (and Frank & Jane)